Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Glued to My Cell Phone



Put down Your Cell phone/Computer!

My parents constantly need to tell me to put down my cell phone at the dinner table. And I constantly have to tell myself to get off of Facebook when I am trying to do homework on the computer. Without even being aware of how much I do it, I quite frequently check Facebook on my cell phone and on my laptop.
 Older generations despise my younger generation for always being on our electronics. Being glued to our cell phones and computers leads us to be at least somewhat disconnected from the real world. Alone Together is a book that expresses huge concerns for our obsession with social media and the author believes it destroys communications in the real world.
 It is a terrible thing that instead of being active in a conversation we are looking down at our cell phones checking Facebook or Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I catch myself spending useless hours on Facebook. And for what? Just creeping on people which in return is getting me nowhere, especially with my homework. I have a no phone policy whenever I go out to dinner with my friends as well as when I have people come over to my apartment I make them put their phones a phone basket that I made. If I have people over I want to spend time with them, not them only paying a little attention to me and the rest to their phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technology is changed that way how people start relationships. Many people prefer to communicate by text message, check their facebook, twitter or maybe chat with friend while they are in home, school, restaurant and so. I think that technology is good for everyone but we need our family time or enjoy other things with friends. I agree with your statement “It is a terrible thing that instead of being active in a conversation we are looking down at our cell phones checking Facebook or Twitter.” We need to be active and keep the relations with other in person. We have another interesting world around where technology is a just part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit that I am incredibly guilty of being attached to facebook and twitter on my cell phone at nearly all times. But I 100% agree with the fact that we need to keep real life relations with people because there are so many things that can't be expressed through a text or message.

    ReplyDelete